People have asked how much does a Kindle cost? We are using the Kindle PaperWhite. This the most practical Kindle for this ministry because it is durable; it has a battery charger that will last 8 weeks, plus you can read it in the dark.
The Kindles cost $170 for the hardware, which includes the cost of the charger. I usually put $90 in books on the kindle for the initial rollout. Publishers such as 9Marks have given us the rights to many of the books so we distribute them for free. The cost per Kindle is $260 for the initial delivery.
The following books are included in the initial distribution:
- Who Is the Holy Spirit?: 13 (Crucial Questions Series) by R.C. Sproul
- What Can I Do with My Guilt?: 9 (Crucial Questions Series) by R.C. Sproul
- Does God Control Everything?: 14 (Crucial Questions Series) by R.C. Sproul
- The Truth of the Cross by R C Sproul
- Can I Know God’s Will? (Crucial Questions Series) (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust)): 4 by R. C. Sproul
- Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions Series) (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust)): 1 by R.C. Sproul
- How Should I Live in This World? (Crucial Questions Series) (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust)): 5 by R.C. Sproul
- The Trellis and the Vine by Tony Payne
- ESV Study Bible by Crossway Bibles
- The Complete Works of J. C. Ryle by J. C Ryle
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J. I. Packer
- Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know by Wayne Grudem
- What Is the Trinity?: 10 (Crucial Questions Series) by R.C. Sproul
- Can I Trust the Bible? (Crucial Questions Series) (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust))
- Am I Really a Christian? by Mike McKinley
- Biblical Theology Study by 9Marks
- Church Discipline by Jonathan Leeman
- Church Leadership Study by 9Marks
- Church Leadership Study by 9Marks
- Church Membership by Jonathan Leeman
- Church membership Study by 9Marks
- Church Study by 9Marks
- Conversion Studyby 9Marks
- Discipleship Studyby 9Marks
- Evangelism studyby 9Marks
- Expositional Preaching Study by 9Marks
- Gospel Study by 9Marks
- Sound Doctrine by Bobbie Jamieson
- The Everlasting Righteousness – Horatius Bonarby Haratio Bonar
- The Scripture Testify about Meby multiple authors
The average cost per book is $6. These are theology books 🙂 and not big sellers. This is also important for the ongoing ministry of updating the Kindles with new books and as critical as the initial delivery. We do have publishers that periodically give books away for free. In each country we try to setup the means to be able to update the Kindle with new books on a periodic basis.
Jacob and Carol Lee are ministering in Uganda. Jacob’s ministry to train pastors. Below is the information about their ministry:
Web Site: www.ReachingAfricasUnreached.com
We recently supplied 10 Kindles for this ministry and are sending another 10.
The first ladies retreat was held for the Amawotana and Mayville church. It was held at the Indawo Yethemba AIDS orphanage.
Linda Hager is teaching them about one of the most famous orphans in history, Queen Esther.
The ladies are playing a Bible game.
I was able to put the Zulu Bible on the Kindle yesterday. Here is a picture of Bongani downloading and reading the Zulu Bible on his Kindle.
On Monday May 6 we road through the Drakensberg Mountains. The scenery was breath taking. We visited Giant’s Peak. Here are some pictures from our hike.
On Sunday evening we stayed at Brandkraal Bed and Breakfast outside of Winterton May 5th. It was Linda and my first time at a B&B. We really enjoyed the hospitality of Freddy and Agnus. We highly recommend this B&B. The breakfast was really great. Agnus did an excellent job.
We had a really enjoyable conversation with them on Sunday evening. I was able to show Freddy an Kindle device. He is loosing his eye sight and he was excited to see a device that can read to him. He wanted to get one right away.
Freddy had really good questions about the state of the evangelical church in South Africa. He made a statement that to much emphasis is on a making a decision for Christ without seeing a life change. How true this is.
Here is a picture of where we stayed.
On May 4th I did a all day seminar in New Castle on the 9 Marks of a Healthy Church. The leaders and members of the congregation were challenged and enjoy the seminar.
I delivered 5 more Kindles to pastors and workers in the New Castle area on May 3. We held the meeting at the Osizweni church. They were really appreciative of their new devices. Most of they leaders do not have a computer.
While I was instructing the leaders on how to use the Kindles, Linda was doing a prayer journal seminar with the women.
I had a chance to teach a Two Ways to Live Seminar at three different churches. The first church we taught at was Osizweni church on May 2. Below a picture of those who attended:
I also taught the seminar at Mayville on May 7th.
I did the next seminar May 8 at Amawotana.
On Wednesday we meet for the first of the two 9Marks of a healthy church seminars that I am doing. We meet at the Amawotana church and invited the leaders and members from the Mayville church. We had about 35 people in attendance. Wednesday was a national holiday, May 1st. It is like Labor day in the USA. So people came on their day off to be taught. We started the seminar at 9:30 and finished up at 4. I was only able to cover the first 5 of the 9 marks. Here is a view of the congregation:
The church had a baptismal service during the seminar.